Interested in learning more about the methods I use in my practice?
Functional Medicine addresses the underlying causes of disease, using a systems-oriented approach and engaging both patient and practitioner in a therapeutic partnership.
It is an evolution in the practice of medicine that better addresses the healthcare needs of the 21st century. By shifting the traditional disease-centered focus of medical practice to a more patient-centered approach, Functional Medicine addresses the whole person, not just an isolated set of symptoms.
Functional Medicine practitioners spend time with their patients, listening to their histories and looking at the interactions among genetic, environmental, and lifestyle factors that can influence long-term health and complex, chronic disease. In this way, Functional Medicine supports the unique expression of health and vitality for each individual.
- See more at the Institute for Functional Medicine.
Homeopathy is a system of natural healthcare that has been in worldwide use for over 200 years. Homeopathy treats each person as a unique individual with the aim of stimulating their own healing ability. A homeopath selects the most appropriate medicine based on the individual's specific symptoms and personal level of health.
The remedies are made from natural substances, but are prepared in a very specific way: highly diluting substances that can cause symptoms if taken too much or too frequently to bring about cure of those same symptoms. This is known as “like cures like” or, the Law of Similars, a principle first discovered by Hippocrates much earlier than homeopathy was developed.
Modern research confirms the efficacy of homeopathy beyond the placebo effect. Homeopathy is the second largest system of medicine in the world, according the WHO.
For more information about homeopathy, including the latest scientific research, please visit the National Center for Homeopathy website.
Gemmotherapy is an area of phytotherapy or herbal medicine that uses buds and young shoots of trees and shrubs. They are harvested in spring, at some point in their natural development cycle, and are prepared fresh in a mixture of water, alcohol and glycerine.
Buds and young shoots are composed of embryonic tissues in full development which contain the whole power of the future plant ; that is why they are a real energy and vitality concentrate. They also contain many active elements which will no longer be present in the mature plant. This explains the wide range of applications and the effectiveness of gemmotherapy remedies.
Gemmotherapy was created in the 60s by Dr. Pol Henry, a Belgian doctor. He published the results of his research and clinical trials in 1970 and called this new therapy "Phyto-embryotherapy". This discipline was taken up again and developed later on by Dr. Max Tétau, a French homeopath, who has called it "Gemmotherapy". This word derives from the Latin "gemmae" meaning both plant bud and precious stone. This name has been universally adopted.
An important advantage of bud macerates is that their properties remain stable over time.
Other Healing Measures
As well as homeopathy and gemmotherapy, I use, when called for including:
MEDICINAL DIETS - This can be for healing the gut, detoxification of organ systems, clearing candida or other non-beneficial pathogens.
NUTRITIONAL SUPPLEMENTS - I use Emerson Ecologics as a distributor for the nutritional supplements I may recommend in your case. This company uses very high quality sourced ingredients, including wildcrafted and sustainably harvested plants. I encourage my clients to create a customer account with Emerson and receive a 20% discount with a small flat shipping rate. (See the Tab 'Resources' to create an account)
HERBALISM - I use herbs in various forms (capsules, tinctures, teas) when called for in your case.
DIETARY GUIDANCE - I work closely with you, when needed, to assess everything from grocery purchases, specific brands and ingredients, basic eating habits, simplifying strategies for busy lifestyles, maximizing targeted nutrition and intermittent fasting.
CEASE THERAPY - CEASE is a form of homeopathic treatment developed by Dr. Tinus Smits. I am a certified CEASE therapist, and use this approach in treatment, when called for. You can learn more about it here: http://www.cease-therapy.com
What I Offer
I am passionate about health and healing. I strive to help my clients both achieve and maintain optimum health.
- Highly Individualized Care.
- Deep listening and respect for my client’s healing process.
- Getting to the root cause of health issues.
- Addressing current health concerns and looking ahead for my clients with prevention in mind.
- A Functional Medicine approach to care: a systems-oriented approach, which engages both patient and practitioner in a therapeutic partnership. It is an evolution in the practice of medicine that better addresses the healthcare needs of the 21st century.
- A wealth of tools for addressing health and resolution of symptoms: homeopathy, gemmotherapy, herbalism, vitamin supplements, medicinal diets, and nutritional guidance.
- Healthcare Independence - I strongly believe that every individual and family can have a variety of effective tools at their fingertips to address common illnesses and injuries themselves. I strive to educate and inform my clients about all the alternative care methods available to them - and give them back the power to heal themselves.
- Current knowledge - I am a tireless learner. I truly love to stay abreast of the current research and evolution of alternative medicine and nutrition in all its forms. I am always taking my practice to the next level by studying the ever-expanding body of homeopathic knowledge, participating in seminars for treatment of specific conditions, educating myself about the latest research for varied approaches and following the clinical results of my colleagues to better serve you.